The EVENT PROGRAM for 2020 Surf Coast Century is essential reading for all event attendees as it explains the event’s format with COVID-safe plans, event schedule, course details, maps and more. READ IT HERE.
The details in the Event Program supersedes all previous event plans we have shared and is the confirmed format for the event (bar a disaster!).
Ultra trail running at its best! Great Ocean Road location, diverse and challenging course, stunning scenery, expert event organisation and electric atmosphere.
Imagine standing at the foot of some of Australia’s tallest coastal cliffs with the low tide of the Southern Ocean lapping at your feet. Ahead lies a magical 100KM and 50KM trail run journey along Victoria’s surf coast and wildflower hinterland.
This is a unique run and we guarantee two steps will be the same. We welcome you to be part of the action in 2020!
Returning for the second time at the Surf Coast Century was beautiful, challenging, friendly and an absolute delight to be part of. Nothing compares to running along the beach in the dark with a trail of headlights in front and behind you. (Mandy, 2019 Participant)
- 100km solo ultra marathon
- 50km solo ultra marathon (Leg 3 and 4)
- 100km relay for teams of 2, 3 or 4
- Saturday 5 December 2020 (50km and 100km solo runners)
- Sunday 6 December 2020 (relay teams)
Start/Finish in Anglesea, Victoria, on the Great Ocean Road
Australia’s elite and experienced runners (the course is fast!), amateur runners, and those tackling their first ultra marathon.
Should you take part on this event? Absolutely! Fantastic organisation, super-friendly training runs and race, in an amazing setting with stunning views and a good mix of running environments. What else do you need? (George, 2018 competitor)
If the course can be summed up in two words it would be ‘spectacular’ and ‘diverse’. There’s clifftop trails providing endless ocean views. There’s single track weaving hinterland bush, wild flowers, waterfalls, lighthouses, beaches and amidst jaw-dropping landscapes.
We have stopped at nothing to secure the best possible course for this race. And we’ve included all the secret spots that few people know about since the race is in our own backyard (Rapid Ascent is based in Torquay).
The course provides plenty of variety to keep you interested and excited. Not to mention easy access for spectators and support crews and professional support from event officials.
Love this event! The trails are varied, the coastal scenery is amazing, the support from the volunteers and members of the public is great; right down to the kids standing at the edge of the course waiting for high-fives. Very well organised event. (Kathy, 2019 Participant)
Do it solo or in a relay team
100KM – solo and relay teams
The 100KM format can completed by individuals and relay teams.
- Individuals: one person completing the full 100km
- Relay teams of 2*: two people who share the four legs between them, interchanging only at the designated transition areas. Each runner may do consecutive legs, or break it up and do alternate legs and then hand over to their team mate who does a leg who then hands back and so forth.
- Relay teams of 3 or 4*: this may be four people who each do one leg, or a team of 3 where one person does 2 legs and the others do 1 leg each.
*Can your relay team go under 7 hours? You could WIN $2000 CASH, details HERE
50KM – solo only
Individual runners only (no relay teams for the 50km). The 50km Half Century course will be held over the second half of the 100km course, over the famed Leg 3 and Leg 4 (as per 2017 and 2018).
Previous years the course was held over Legs 1 and 2 of the 100km course.
Ideal event for first timers
The Surf Coast Century presented by MINI Countryman is recognised as the ideal event for newbies tackling their first ultra marathon. We take pleasure in providing a whole range of information and resources to help you get started, such as:
- Training programs and free advice from a highly regarded coach
- Free guided training runs over the entire course in the lead up to the race
- Blog stories and testimonials from other ultra-new-comers to provide you with plenty of inspiration and encouragement
- Gear advice and some fun FAQ’s to help answer all those ‘how do I’ questions.
- Monthly blog updates from someone else who’s also training for their first ultra marathon so you can follow along together
“I just wanted to say thank you for the amazing experience at the Surf Coast Century! I was the very last runner to cross the finish line at 1:30 am, and it was just a great event! It was my first 100 km race and I really enjoyed it. I loved the running, the landscape, the athmosphere… just everything about it! Thank you for putting up a great event!” Anna (100km Solo runner 2015)
ITRA / UTMB qualifying race
The Surf Coast Century presented by MINI Countryman individual races are registered with the International Trail Running Association (ITRA) and will provide successful runners with ITRA points (to help runners qualify for large international races), and UTMB points as an official qualifying race for this iconic event:
- ITRA rating: 4 Endurance Points, 2 Mountain Points and Finisher Rating of 280.
- UTMB points: 4 Points (new system).
- ITRA rating: 2 Endurance Points, 2 Mountain Points and Finisher Rating of 340.
- UTMB points: 2 Points (new system).
Western States Endurance Run Qualifying Race
Runners who finish the Surf Coast Century 100km course as a solo runner under 16hrs may use their result as their qualifying race for the Western States Endurance Run (100 mile) ballot.
The Western States 100 is the world’s oldest 100mile trail races and one of the world’s most prestigious running events. To be one of only of only 6 races in the Southern Hemisphere to receive this commendation is a great honour.
2020 Surf Coast Century promo reel
2018 Surf Coast Century highlights
The ‘official’ video from the 2018 that captures the landscapes and the people who completed this iconic event.
The 100km journey
A terrific 9min narrative made by Elliana Saltalamacchia made for her university studies that follows the journey of 3 different runners as tackle the 100km event.
2015 race summary
Check out this truly beautiful video documenting the 2015 Surf Coast Century journey, compiled by Adventure Types. For those who haven’t been to the event, this will provide a great insight into what it’s all about. Enjoy!
Here is another beautiful documentary made in 2014 by Norm Douglas that really captures some of the people and personalities behind the event.