The Surf Coast Century starts and finishes at the pleasant seaside town of Anglesea on the Great Ocean Road, Victoria, approximately 1.5hrs drive from Melbourne.
Quick Links to text below (contents):
- Event Centre
- Athlete Recovery Zone
- Race Start 100km
- Race Start 50km
- Competitor Registration and Briefing
- Athlete tracking
- Competitor Services
- Event Functions
The Anglesea Green (next to the Anglesea Bowls Club) will host the event centre for the Surf Coast Century with the following services, facilities and activities all all set to make 2022 just as amazing:
- FINISH line for races – 100km and 50km
- Mid-way point for the 100km course and Check Point 4 (CP4) with associated services (eg, race kitchen and bag drop off)
- Race Registration, Athlete Recovery Zone and Information marquees
- Event Expo with extensive displays by our event sponsors and exhibitors (Friday night through to Saturday evening)
- Event bar – stocked with refreshing beers
- Food and coffee from a range of providers
- Medical assistance station
- Music and commentary on the race finish and a range of kids activities
Anglesea Township Map – Click Here (includes Parking, Start & Event Centre locations)
Athlete Recovery Zone
A well received feature of the Event Expo will be back again in 2022… the Athlete Recovery marquee – manned by the crew from the Torquay Sports Medicine Centre (TSMC) – this is a space to help runners ‘catch their breath’ and overcome the physical feats of their run.
The marquee will be stocked with a range of recovery gear that is free for anyone to use, including: massage guns, compression boots, vibrating massage rollers, yoga mats and an ice bath (please bring own towel). TSMC will be providing free massages and recovery advice to competitors and along with plenty of chairs, fruit and water it will be a great place to chill post race.
This event delivers what it promises! With a variation to scenery and challenging sections it has something for most trail runners looking for a challenge. (Claude, 2021 Participant)
Believe it when they say this is an unbelievable event. The scenery and surrounds are amazing. Take a moment to take it all in. (Julie, 2019 Participant)
7:00am, on the Anglesea Main Beach.
The race will commence at low tide with a mass start in 2022. (NB: pending entry numbers we may institute some wave starts to minimise congestion)
Please self-seed (faster runners first) – your time does NOT start until you cross the start mats.
Race start – 50km
8:30am, on the Anglesea Main Beach.
The 50km race (individuals only) will commence with a mass start at 8:30am from the beach and complete Legs 3 and 4 of the 100km course.
Competitor registration and briefing – 100km & 50km
- 3:00pm – 7:30pm, in the expo area at the Anglesea Green (next to the Anglesea Bowls Club).
At registration all competitors will receive:
- Race number plate
- Timing Tag
- Bag tags
- other event information and sponsor give aways
Note: All competitors must attend registration to collect packs. Packs are not posted out prior to the event.
Friday – Anglesea Green
The briefing will be conducted in the expo area at the Anglesea Green and we encourage all 100km and 50km runners (especially solo runners) to attend.
- 6:00pm Elite Athlete Q & A session – all welcome
- 6.30pm Friday – Competitor Briefing
Bethany Kids’ Run Registration
- 8:00am – 9:00am Registration at the Surf Life Saving Club on Main Beach.
- 9:00am Kids’s run start – on Anglesea Main Beach
Kids will receive:
- Number plate (to pin to their t-shirt)
- Finisher ribbon
- Fruit at finish
We understand that the challenge of competing in the 100km and 50km Surf Coast Century is hard enough without having to juggle difficult logistics and event requirements on the day. As such, we will be providing the following services to competitors to help make your run as enjoyable, and straight forward as possible.
We will transport a bag (that may have spare clothing, personal nutrition, supplies…) for competitors from Anglesea registration to each of the check points and back again.
Bags will be transported from registration in Anglesea to:
- CP2 – the 21km point at Torquay Surf Beach (Rotary Rotunda at the back of the Torquay SLSC)
- CP4 – the 49km point at the Anglesea Green (note – you can also drop these off yourself as CP4 is immediately adjacent to the expo)
- CP6 – the 77km point at the Moggs Creek Picnic Ground/Tallawalla Guide Camp (Boyd Ave).
Support crews / team mates can also take bags to any of the checkpoints CP1 – CP7 and can give them to runners directly.
Food and drinks will be available at each of the following checkpoints on the 100km and 50km courses (brackets):
- CP1 – 10km Point Addis car park – Intermediary race point
- CP2 – 21km at Torquay Surf Beach (Rotary Rotunda) – Race kitchen
- CP3 – 31km Ironbark Basin picnic area – Intermediary race point
- CP3A – 40km Eumeralla Scout Camp between Centre Rd and Browns Rd. Unmanned water point only.
- CP4 – 48km at Anglesea Green – Race kitchen
- CP4A – 58km (9km) at the junction of Loves Track and the Distillery Creek Road. Unmanned water point only.
- CP5 – 68km (19km) Distillery Creek Picnic Ground – Intermediary race kitchen
- CP6 – 75km (26km) at Moggs Creek Picnic Ground – Race kitchen
- CP7 – 84km (35km) Aireys Inlet Skate Park – Intermediary race kitchen.
All competitors, both relay teams and individuals are welcome to access all food at the CPs. As indicated above, there will be 2 different levels of catering for runners out on the course:
Race food will be equally available to 50km runners and 100km runners.
Race Kitchens will be set up at the end of each leg and provide a more substantial range of foods and drinks. The Race Kitchens will have a range of hot and cold meals and snacks available in small, easy to eat-on-the-move portions that include foods such as:
- all the items available in the intermediary race points – listed below PLUS
- Boiled potatoes with butter and salt
- Savoy biscuits – savoury
- Risotto (after 1:00pm at CP6 only)
- Veggie and noodle soup (after 1:00pm at CP6 only)
- Two minute noodles (after 1:00pm at CP6 only)
- Hot water and cups so you can make your own tea and instant coffee (after 1:00pm at CP6 only)
Intermediary race kitchens will be set up roughly half way along each leg of the legs and provide an intermediary refuel location when you need it most with the following items:
- Tailwind Nutrition powder. You can mix your own to your preferred strength
- CLIF Bars
- Sandwiches – sweet and savory
- Fruit cake and/or honey and oat slice
- Snakes and lollies
For your first Ultra I would definitely recommend doing the Surf Coast Century. The location, friendly support, facilities and trails were fantastic! I will be back! (Maryanne, 2019 Participant)
Elite Athlete Q & A
When: 6:00pm Friday
Where: At the expo at Anglesea Green.
Immediately before the competitor briefing at we will conduct a Question and Answer session with some of the elite 100km runners participating in this year’s event.
Topics to be covered include their training programs, nutrition strategies and ambitions for the year. This session will make for interesting listening as these are some of the best runners in Australia.
When: from 6:30pm Friday
Where: Anglesea Hotel, 1 Murch Crescent Anglesea.
Enjoy a delicious pasta dinner the night before the race at the local Anglesea Hotel. For $25 you can choose from a delicious pasta menu. Enjoy a relaxing evening with your friends and supporters at one of the best local pubs in town!
Ring 03 5263 1210 and state that you are a Surf Coast Century registrant to access the special meal deal.
Celebration Sunday – Recovery morning
Join us for a post race war stories, yoga session and invigorating swim to kick start your recovery and share in the celebrations on Sunday morning followed by breakfast options from the newly refurbished Anglesea Surf Life Saving Club.
8:00am – 8:30am on the lawn at the Anglesea Surf Life Saving Club. Bring a yoga mat and/or beach towel if you have one handy.
from 8:30am at Anglesea Surf Life Saving Club for breakfast options.
Race presentations 10:00am SUNDAY
at Anglesea Surf Life Saving Club
Presentations for the Surf Coast Century will be made at the Anglesea Surf Life Saving Club at 10:00am on Sunday morning. These presentations will provide an opportunity for all runners to unite and celebrate their ultra trail running success.