The EVENT PROGRAM for 2020 Surf Coast Century is essential reading for all event attendees as it explains the event’s format with COVID-safe plans, event schedule, course details, maps and more. READ IT HERE.
The details in the Event Program supersedes all previous event plans we have shared and is the confirmed format for the event (bar a disaster!).
RULES FOR THE SURF COAST CENTURY, presented by MINI
The rules listed below are current at the time of publication and may be updated prior to the race (although the basis of the rules will stay the same)
- All event attendees are required to follow the COVID-safe plans as outlined in the event program and advised at the event. Teams / runners / supporters seen breaking any COVID-safe rules will receive a warning and 30min penalty for first offence and will be disqualified and asked to leave the event immediately for second offence. It is the competitor’s responsibility to ensure support crews follow these rules.
- (all participants) must read and sign the Participant Indemnity
- Juniors only – (under 18 on race day) must have their parent or guardian advise the organisers, Rapid Ascent, of their intention to enter, must comply with the Under 18 entry requirements as published on the event website and the parent or guardian must read and sign an authorisation and indemnity.
- Competitors must follow the complete course as marked and directed. Taking shortcuts or using any unfair means of obtaining an advantage over other competitors will result in disqualification. It is the competitor’s responsibility to ensure that the correct course is followed.
- Your race number must be visible at all times on the outside of your clothing (at the front).
- Races numbers are non-transferable. Times will not be recognised if racing under another entry/name.
- Competitors may only receive external assistance on the course from their support crews or team mates as described in this event program. 30min penalty for any team competitors who’s support crew does otherwise.
- One competitor cannot provide assistance in forward progression through physical pushing / pulling / towing / pacing, or the giving of food or drinks to a competitor in another category except in emergency circumstances.
- Australian Road Rules apply at all times on all roads, tracks and trails.
- All runners (solo and relay team members) MUST carry the Mandatory Gear as specified in the equipment list. A 30 minute penalty will apply for any (and every) item found missing during mandatory gear checks and you will not be allowed to continue until the item is replaced. 2020 Update: Gear checks will now be MANDATORY on course (not just at random). Expect this to happen throughout the race at various points.
- Relay teams can only change over at the designated checkpoint locations – after their team mate has arrived.
- Relay teams must transfer their timing chip within the designated checkpoint area.
- Competitors are responsible for the actions of their support crew and may be penalised for actions or breaches of the rules by their support crew.
- Support crews and team mates are not permitted to run with or pace runners.
- Any competitor who withdraws from the race MUST notify an official. This is an essential requirement to avoid unnecessary searches being conducted and emergency services being engaged.
- All runners are permitted to lodge protests against results or decisions enforced during the event. A judging panel of three Rapid Ascent staff members will adjudicate on all protests and other contentious matters, and their decision will be final. Protests must be lodged within 30 minutes of the competitor crossing the finish line.
- Rapid Ascent has sole discretion to alter or amend the race rules in order to increase the safety of participants or for any other reason deemed appropriate.
- If the race is canceled or called off after it has started, it is each competitor’s responsibility to get themselves to the start / finish area as soon as you have been notified of the cancellation.
CUT OFF TIMES
The following cut off times are provisional and may change (slightly) nearer the event. Please note times below apply to both the 100km and 50km events. Note, you MUST depart the checkpoint by the quoted time and you are NOT permitted to return to the checkpoint.
Cut off times for Saturday 5th December race will be strictly enforced as follows.
- Start of Leg 2 – you must depart CP2 at Torquay Surf Beach by 11:15am Saturday i.e. Start time + 3h45m
- Start of Leg 3 – you must depart CP4 at Anglesea 4:15pm Saturday i.e. start time + 8h45m
- Start of Leg 4 – you must depart CP6 at Moggs Creek Picnic Ground by 10:30pm Saturday i.e. start time + 15h
- During Leg 4 – you must depart CP7 at the Aireys Inlet Skate Park by 12:30am Sunday i.e. start time + 17h
Cut off times for SUNDAY 6th December Relay Teams race will be strictly enforced as follows.
- Start of Leg 2 – you must depart CP2 at Torquay Surf Beach by 11:30am Sunday i.e. Start time + 3h30m
- Start of Leg 3 – you must depart CP4 at Anglesea 3:30pm Sunday i.e. start time + 7h30m
- Start of Leg 4 – you must depart CP6 at Moggs Creek Picnic Ground by 7:30pm Sunday i.e. start time + 11h30m
- During Leg 4 – you must depart CP7 at the Aireys Inlet Skate Park by 9:30pm Sunday i.e. start time + 13h30m
Cut off procedures
- For teams who do not make the published cut off time, the next team member will be allowed to continue at the published cut off time but will be an unranked competitor.
- Individuals who miss a cut off must miss the next leg but they may re-continue from the following transition area.
- If the last cut off is missed, then competitors must make their way via alternative means to the finish line.
- If you cannot complete a leg or are forced to stop or withdraw from a leg the following procedures will be followed:
- You will now be an ‘unranked’ competitor. You will not be permitted to return to that leg but you can recommence the event with the next leg
- When you get to the next transition area, advise an official that you did not complete the leg and hand over to your team mate who can continue the rest of the course
- Your team will be unranked, but you can still continue the event.